It's that unfortunate time of year again...flu season. Up until now, you've been so good about withholding your new year's resolution of hitting the gym regularly. So what do you do if you succumb to a dreaded cold or worse...flu? Here is what I tell my clients: if you have a fever, stay in bed. If you push your body while exhibiting flu symptoms such as feeling feverish, you're likely to continue getting sicker. Instead, load up on rest and give your body a chance to recover.
Fighting a cold, however, is a case by case basis. I’ve seen many clients train and have great workouts while fighting a cold but ultimately, it comes down to how YOU feel. You should know your body well enough to know if you are up to the task of working out.
If you find yourself coming down with cold or flu symptoms here are some tips that should help you feel better, quicker:
1. GET SOME SLEEP: A rested body can handle just about anything.
2. EAT WELL: Fuel your body with immune boosting foods.
3. DO NOT OVERTRAIN: Instead, go lighter.
4. WASH YOUR HANDS: Your mom knew what she was talking about. Count to 20 (or sing Happy Birthday) while lathering before rinsing your hands.
5. ADJUST YOUR WORKOUT: Make it easier and shorter until you start feeling better.
6. TRUST YOUR GUT: Listen to your body. If you can barely get out of bed, stay there!
Sign up below and every week we'll send you one short but effective idea that can help you improve your performance.
We share loads of tips and insights across Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook, join us and come and say hello!